- 12 baby artichokes, stems on
- 11/2 pounds fresh fava beans
- 1 pound fresh medium asparagus
- 1 pound sweet peas
- 1 bulb fennel tops removed and set aside
- 2 slices Prosciutto
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil plus 2 tablespoons
- 12 leaves fresh mint
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 2 scallions and 4 slices country bread, toasted
Trim the artichokes of tough outer leaves, peel the stems and cut in half. Soak chokes in cool acidulated water. Shell the favas both ways and set aside. Trim the hard ends of the asparagus and cut into 2 inch pieces on the bias. Shell peas and set aside. Cut the fennel bulb in half and slice into fine julienne. Cut the Prosciutto into fine julienne and set aside.
In a 12 to 14 inch saute pan, heat the olive oil, Prosciutto and fennel over medium heat. Cook 1 minute and add drained artichokes. Cook 10 minutes until starting to soften and add favas, asparagus and peas. Add 1/2 cup water, cover and simmer 20 minutes. Uncover, add mint, lemon juice, zest and fennel tops. Grill bread and brush with remaining 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle with scallions and serve over frittedda. Serve hot or cold.