- 1/2 cup sliced and blanched almonds
- 12 ounces sweet Gorgonzola cheese, softened to room temperature (may substitute Maytag blue or Roquefort domestic blue)
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and seeded
- 1 bunch Rucola, washed, spun dry to yield 2 cups
- 2 tablespoons almond oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 12 slices Italian country bread, 1/4-inch thick
In a 10- to 12-inch saute pan, toast almonds under broiler, shaking vigorously and watching carefully not to burn, about 30 to 45 seconds. Remove and let cool. Mix almonds and Gorgonzola with wooden spoon until well mixed. Cut apples into quarters and then cut into matchstick julienne and place in separate mixing bowl. Chiffonade the rucola and add to apple mixture. Dress with almond oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
Toast bread on both sides and spread 1 tablespoon over each slice, top with a small handful of rucola and apple salad and serve immediately.