Monday to Friday Turkey Gumbo
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 rib celery, finely sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into 1 /2-inch cubes
- Clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 6 -ounce can small red beans or pink beans
- 10 -ounce pack thawed frozen spinach leaves, squeezed dry
- 10 -ounce package frozen corn kernels, thawed
- 1 pound boneless skinless turkey breasts, cut into 1 /2-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup minced parsley
Over high heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add scallions, onion, bell pepper and celery. Reduce heat to medium and stir the vegetables around until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic, cayenne and thyme and saute for a few seconds.
Add broth, bring liquid to a boil, then add beans, spinach and corn. Cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes to bring flavors together.
Stir turkey and parsley into stew and simmer, uncovered just until turkey is cooked through. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve over boiled rice.
Recipe Courtesy of �Michelle Urvater