Monte Cristo Frittata, Grilled Pineapple Spears with Crystallized Ginger and Pumpernickel Bread with Honey-Rosemary Ricotta
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus some for drizzling, divided
- 1/2 pound ham steak, 1/2-inch thick, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced, thick-deli-cut or rotisserie turkey breast, chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped, whites and greens
- 12 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk or half-and-half
- A few dashes hot sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups frozen shredded hash brown potatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and grated
- 1 (8-ounce) block Emmentaler Swiss cheese
- 1 fresh pineapple, cut into spears
- 4 to 5 pieces crystallized ginger, grated or very thinly sliced
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread, with raisins if available
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 4 to 5 small or 2 to 3 large sprigs fresh rosemary, leaves finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons honey
Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 10-inch nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add the ham and turkey and cook 3 to 4 minutes, add scallions and cook 1 to 2 minutes more. Beat eggs with milk or half-and-half, hot sauce, salt and pepper. Pour over the meats and scallions and cook the eggs a few minutes, lifting to settle. Transfer to oven.
While turkey and ham are heating through, heat a second nonstick skillet with 1 tablespoon oil and 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add potatoes and grated onion and cook 7 to 8 minutes. Season the hash browns with salt and pepper. Turn and press the potatoes down to brown and crisp.
Grate Emmentaler cheese.
Remove frittata from oven after 5 to 6 minutes, once eggs have set on top but are still a bit soft at the center. Cover the frittata with cheese and bake 5 to 6 minutes more until golden on top. Let stand a few minutes before cutting in wedges to serve.
Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
Switch broiler on and lightly toast bread on each side. Stir ricotta with lots of coarse black pepper, rosemary and honey. Top the toast with heavy dollops of ricotta to pass at table.
Serve wedges of frittata with potatoes and pineapple spears alongside.