Moroccan Chicken Stew
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 red onions, quartered lengthwise, sliced crosswise
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) can tomato puree (no salt added)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 sweet green peppers, cut in 1/2-inch squares
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 12 ounces orzo pasta, cooked
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley leaves
Toss flour and chicken in bag to coat. Cook chicken in oil in nonstick skillet 6 minutes, until browned, turning once. Transfer to plate.
Cook onion in skillet 7 minutes. Add garlic, cinnamon, ginger, cumin, cayenne; cook 1 minute. Stir in tomato, honey and salt. Add chicken; simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in peppers, raisins and chickpeas; simmer, stirring, 15 minutes, until peppers are tender and chicken is no longer pink near the bone.
Serve over orzo. Sprinkle with almonds and parsley.
Recipe courtesy Family Circle Magazine
Recipe courtesy of Emeril Lagasse