- 8 long narrow eggplants (or 5 to 6 medium size)
- Extra olive oil, for greasing pan and brushing eggplant
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds very lean ground beef or ground lamb (twice ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Pepper, to taste (ground fresh)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter, plus 4 tablespoons, for topping
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 pound Parmesan or Romano cheese, freshly grated
- 12 to 14 Royal (or any brand) milk biscuits finely crushed or cracker meal
- 11 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 15 by 10-inch deep pan greased (with olive oil)
- Jelly roll pan
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place eggplant onto well oiled jelly roll pans. Brush with olive oil. Bake 10 to 15 minutes until tender. Set aside. In a large skillet cook onions in 1/4 cup water, 3 tablespoons olive oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt until onions are clear. Remove and set aside. In same skillet brown meat. Add cooked onions, salt, pepper, nutmeg, cinnamon, sugar, tomato sauce and 2 tablespoons of butter.
Cook, stirring well. Reduce sauce until almost dry and set aside. In 15 by 10-inch greased pan sprinkle 1/2 of the cracker crumbs to cover the bottom (the rest will be used for the top). Place a layer of eggplant close together over cracker crumbs. Top with 1/3 of the grated cheese. Add 1/2 of the meat mixture. Spread evenly. Repeat once more and top with eggplant and cracker crumbs. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan cheese. Beat 11 eggs and 1 cup of milk together well. Spoon entire mixture on top of mousaka wetting all crumbs and cheese. Drizzle top with 4 tablespoons melted butter. Bake in 350 degree oven for 50 to 60 minutes until golden brown on top and knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool and cut into diamonds or squares. Serve warm.
This recipe freezes well. Thaw and cut into pieces and heat through.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.