Mozzarella in Carrozza Mediterraneo
- For the basil puree:
- 1 pound fresh, cleaned basil tops (no stems)
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 3 pounds whole milk, fresh curd
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 pound thinly slice prosciutto di Parma, (approximately)
- 1 pound all-purpose flour, for dredging
- 10 eggs, beaten, for egg wash
- 1 1/2 pounds fine bread crumbs
- 2 cups oil (approximately), for frying
Combine basil, olive oil, salt, and pepper in a food processor and process until smooth.
Bring 5 quarts of water to a simmer and remove from heat.
In a large mixing bowl, break apart the curd into small pieces (it is best to use your hands). Season the curd with kosher salt.
Carefully pour the hot water over the curd. Using 2 long wooden spoons, carefully but quickly begin working the curd, forming it into a smooth, lumpless ball. Once curd is of smooth texture, remove from water and place onto a plastic film lined sheet pan.
Evenly stretch the mozzarella on the sheet pan to cover the entire surface. Spread a thin layer of the basil puree on the mozzarella. Place a thin layer of the prosciutto di Parma over the basil puree. Using the underlying film, begin rolling the mozzarella tightly, forming a pinwheel.
Pan fry in oil until golden brown on both sides.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Mediterraneo