- 2 19 oz pkgs Johnsonville® Hot Italian Sausage Links, casings removed
- (Use mild links for a less spicy chili)
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp. chili powder, (use mild chili powder for less spicy chili)
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- 1 15.5oz can black beans
- 1 15.5oz can red kidney beans
- 1 1/2 cups corn (frozen or fresh off the cob)
- 1 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 12oz bottle dark beer (ok to substitute w/light beer or 1 cup beef stock)
- salt and pepper
- Accompaniments: chopped onion, grated cheese, sour cream, tortilla chips.
Decase the sausage and saute in a large pot; use a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage as it cooks. Once the sausage is nicely browned, stir in the onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin and continue cooking until the onion softens about 5 minutes.
Add the beer and allow it to simmer for an additional 5 minutes scraping up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and allow it to simmer, uncovered for an additional 10-15 minutes on med-low, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
Finally stir in the beans and the corn. Let this come to a simmer and it's ready to serve!
(Can be prepared a day ahead.)