- 1 pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef (ground round)
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 2 quarts tomato sauce
- 2 boxes (16-ounces) lasagna noodles, boiled according to package instructions
- 1/2 pound mortadella, thinly sliced
- 2 balls (16-ounces) smoked mozzarella, cubed
- 1/2 pound grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- 1/2 pound grated Pecorino Romano
- 1/2 pound prosciutto, thinly sliced and trimmed of fat
- 4 hard boiled eggs, chopped fine
- 1 bunch parsley, leaves chopped
- 1 bunch basil, chiffonade
- Fresh cracked black pepper
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
In a deep, rectangular lasagna pan, add a thin layer of sauce to the bottom, then layer the lasagna strips evenly across the bottom of the pan to cover the entire surface, about 8 sheets of pasta.
Sprinkle 1/4 of the cooked meat mixture over this, then lay out 8 slices of mortadella on top. Sprinkle 1/4 of the cubed mozzarella and 1/4 of the grated cheeses and top with a layer of tomato sauce.
Repeat with another layer of 8 lasagna sheets to cover, then do a layer of prosciutto, mozzarella, another 1/4 of the grated cheese, 1/3 of the chopped herbs, another 1/4 of the cooked meat, and tomato sauce. Finish this layer with 1/2 of the chopped hard-boiled eggs.
Repeat with another layer of lasagna, remaining prosciutto and mortadella, another 1/4 of the grated cheeses, another 1/3 of the chopped herbs, remaining chopped eggs, another 1/4 of the mozzarella, another 1/4 of the cooked meat, and sauce.
Repeat with the last layer of lasagna, remaining cooked meat, remaining grated cheeses, remaining mozzarella, and a thin layer of tomato sauce. Sprinkle the top layer with the remaining chopped parsley and basil and fresh cracked black pepper.
Uncover and let cool and set for about 1/2 hour before cutting so lasagna can absorb the liquid released by the cheeses.
Note : There is no salt in this recipe because the cheeses and meats should be salty enough to balance the flavors.