Eggplant and Sausage Pasta Salad
- Kosher salt
- 1 pound bowtie (farfalle) pasta
- 2 tablespoons plus 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 medium eggplant (1 pound), cut into 1-inch cubes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3/4 pound Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
- 1 pint (10 ounces) grape tomatoes, sliced in half
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 large lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain in a colander and let cool a bit before transferring the pasta to a large bowl. Drizzle with the 2 tablespoons olive oil and mix to combine.
Add the eggplant to the prepared baking sheet; drizzle with the 1/4 cup olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and toss it all together. Roast until golden, tender and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the sausage and saute until cooked through, using the back of a wooden spoon to crumble the sausage, 6 to 7 minutes. Add the tomatoes and garlic and cook until heated through and starting to soften a bit, 1 minute. Add the sausage mixture to the pasta bowl. Add the lemon juice, basil, parsley, olives and roasted eggplant to the bowl and toss together. Top with the feta cheese. Serve at room temperature.
Recipe courtesy of Nancy Fuller