Nantucket Bay Scallops in Tequila, Citrus, and Chile Dressing
- 1 pound Nantucket bay scallops, roughly diced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/2 red bell pepper, minced
- 1 serrano chile, minced
- 1/8 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/8 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons roughly chopped mint
- 4 tablespoons roughly chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Scallop shells
- Lime wedges
- Sea salt
Clean the mussels off the scallops and reserve in the refrigerator on ice until needed.
Combine all of the ingredients to make the marinade and add the scallops 15 minutes before serving. Keep the scallops in the marinade in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
To serve, fill a glass bowl with crushed ice. Place the shells on top of the ice and fill with the scallops and dressing. Garnish with seaweed and lime wedges. Just before serving, sprinkle some sea salt over the scallops.
Recipe courtesy Daniel Orr, Gastavino's, New York