Napoleons with Herbed Goat Cheese and Asparagus
- 1 medium bunch (about 8 stalks) green asparagus
- Olive oil
- 6 slices fresh thin sliced white bread, crusts removed
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup soft fresh goat cheese
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced dill
- 1 teaspoon minced chives
- 1 teaspoon picked thyme leaves
- 2 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
Preheat oven 450 degrees F.
Trim to remove woody stem of the asparagus, arrange on an oiled sheet pan. Drizzle with more olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in oven for 8 to 10 minutes until soft, cut diagonally into 1/4-inch slices.
Lower oven temperature to 300 degrees F. Roll out bread between two pieces of waxed paper until very thin. Cut bread in half in rectangles to yield 12 rectangles. Brush both sides with melted butter. Arrange on parchment lined baking sheet, bake for 10 minutes, rotate pan, and bake another 10 minutes or until crisp.
In a bowl combine cheese, garlic, shallots, dill, chives, thyme, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. While toasts are warm, spread 1 teaspoon of cheese mixture on rectangle, top with roasted asparagus. Repeat procedure, and then place a third toast layer on top.