- 1 large head (about 3 pounds) green cabbage
- 4 slices extra-thick bacon, cut into 1-inch squares
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Smash Seasoning, recipe follows
- 1 (10-ounce) bag baby carrots
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
In a large pot over medium heat, cook bacon halfway through. Cook's Note: It will release its fat and be lightly browned, but still moist.
Add the cabbage, water and Smash Seasoning. Cover and reduce to a simmer and steam 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. Drain water from pot and add carrots. Cover and simmer another 15 minutes, until carrots are tender. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
Mix ingredients thoroughly and keep in a tightly sealed container for up to 6 months.