New Mexico Fruit Empanadas
- Dough Mix:
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Fruit Mixture:
- 2 cups fresh or canned fruit
- 1/2 cup brown sugar or fructose
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Cinnamon sugar, for sprinkling
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
For the fruit: Mash the fruit with the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg. Spoon 2 tablespoons of fruit on one half of a circle of dough, then fold it over to look like a half-moon. Pinch the edges with a fork to seal.
Bake until brown, about 15 minutes, then sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Professional Recipe: This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.
Fresh fruit may be cooked but should not be too watery.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.