Hot and Sour Soup
- 6 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 heaping tablespoon tom yam hot and sour paste
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely chopped, optional
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bottom, inner part only, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 tablespoons fish sauce (nam pla)
- 2 to 3 small jalapenos or fresh red or green chiles, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups plus 2 tablespoons, straw or button mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 pound (2-ounce) peeled, raw shrimp
- 5 (1-inch) pieces small scallions, sliced thin
- 1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped
In a medium saucepan, heat chicken stock, tom yam paste, lime leaves, lemon grass, lime juice, fish sauce, chiles, and sugar. Once it has come to a boil, add mushrooms and simmer for 2 minutes. Add shrimp and scallions and cook for 2 to 3 minutes allowing the shrimp to cook but still be tender. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve immediately. Place extra cilantro on the table for people to add more.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.