- 4 medium or 2 large baking potatoes
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil or ghee
- 3/4 cup chopped red or green bell pepper (1 medium)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 4 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Spicy Yogurt Sauce (see below)
Scrub the potatoes and bake them in a 400 degree oven for one hour or until done.
While the potatoes are baking, prepare the filling. Saute the onion and carrots in the oil or ghee until they are tender, for about 10 minutes. Add the bell pepper and spices and continue to saute for another minute or two, stirring. Add a little water to the pan to prevent sticking, cover it, and cook for another 5 minutes, or until the bell pepper is just tender. Stir in the cream cheese and add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
When the potatoes are baked and cool enough to handle, make a lengthwise cut in the top of each one and scoop out a least half of the contents. If you are using large potatoes, cut them in half lengthwise and scoop them out, leaving about 1/2 inch of potato clinging to the skin. Mash the scoopedout potato and then add it to the vegetablecream cheese mixture. Lower the oven heat to 350 degrees. Fill the potato shells with this mixture and place them in an oiled baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes.
Serve topped with Spicy Yogurt Sauce.