Omelette aux Champignons
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced (recommended: Champignons de Paris)
- 2 tablespoons salted butter, plus 1 tablespoon
- 12 fresh eggs (2 per person)
- 2 tablespoons creme fraiche
- Handful chives, finely chopped, plus extra for garnish
- 1/2 tablespoon crushed white peppercorns*
- Salt (recommended: Fleur de Sel)
- Serving suggestion: green salad
- *Cook's note: To crush peppercorns cover them with a cloth and crush with a rolling pin.
Cut the mushrooms into thick slices, and on high heat saute in 2 tablespoons of butter in a non-stick frying pan on low heat.
In a separate, large, non-stick frying pan melt 1 tablespoon of butter on a low heat, taking care not to burn it. Pour in the eggs and cook for about 2 minutes.
Cook' note: the slower you cook it, the better the omelette.
When the omelette is cooked around the edges but still runny in the middle, add mushrooms. Cook until the eggs are firm, or to taste.
Using a spatula ease the omelette onto a plate and flip it in half. Slice into six portions.
Garnish with finely chopped chives and serve with a green salad.
Recipe courtesy of Benjamin Chassaing