- 7 to 8 ounces almond paste
- 1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, very soft
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (such as Grand Marnier or triple sec)
- Grated zest 1 orange, or 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 5 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Confectioner's sugar for dusting
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 9inch springform pan and set it aside.
In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar together until very fluffy, at least 3 minutes. Add the almond paste, orange liqueur, and orange zest. Beat until perfectly blended, another 2 minutes or so.
One by one beat in the eggs until the mixture is very smooth and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle on the flour and baking powder and beat just until combined, 30 seconds or so.
Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, and the sides of the cake have begun to shrink away from the pan. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. (The cake might sink a little in the center.)
Remove the outer ring of the pan. Place a plate over the cake and invert it. Remove the bottom of the pan. Invert again onto a wire rack and cool the cake completely. Serve dusted with confectioners sugar.