- 6 large fennel bulbs, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice, strained
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black peper
- 1 cup chopped toasted hazelnuts
Cut each fennel stalk bulb into 6 wedges of equal size. Set aside.
Melt the butter in a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the fennel and shallots and saute for 4 minutes. Add the orange zest, orange juice, broth, and salt and pepper to taste, and bring to a simmer. Lower the heat, cover, and cook, stirring from time to time, for 45 minutes, or until the fennel is meltingly tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the hazelnuts. Serve hot or at room temperature.