- 12 ranges
- Kosher salt, to coat
- 1/2 cup of salt
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 1/2 cups of white wine vinegar
- 1/2 quart of orange juice
- 1 cup of dates
- 1/2 tablespoon mustard seed, whole
- 1 1/2 dried red chilis, whole
- 1 tablespoon mustard oil
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/2 tablespoon aleppo pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ginger, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
Quarter the oranges and sprinkle with kosher salt and cure for 24 hours. Rinse off gently, taking care not to squeeze any juice from the oranges. Place in a pot and cover with boiling water, 2 inches above oranges. Add one half cup of salt. Bring to a boil. If water tastes too salty, discard some and add fresh water. Add sugar, vinegar, orange juice, dates and whole spices and allow to simmer. In a separate pan, heat mustard oil over low flame. Add the cumin and aleppo pepper. Cook until fragrant. Add the ginger and garlic and sweat. Combine with orange mixture and simmer until a chutney consistency is achieved.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.