Orange Dal with Ginger and Garlic
- 2 cups orange lentils
- 1/4 cup clarified butter
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons pureed garlic
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated ginger
- 2 3/4 cups chicken stock, canned broth, or water
- 1/8 cup loosely packed neem leaves (if available), or fresh cilantro or basil
- 2 tablespoons black mustard seeds
Heat 2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan. Saute onions with salt and pepper until golden brown. Add garlic and ginger, and cook 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add dal and chicken stock or water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, covered, 20 minutes. Just before dal is ready, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a small skillet. Add the neem leaves and black mustard seeds and fry until leaves are crisp and seeds are popping, about 1 minute. Stir fried leaves and seeds into dal and serve immediately. Dal keeps well for 2 to 3 days. Reheat before serving.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.