Oriental Duck Salad
- 4 duck breasts, skin on
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon Chinese 5-spice powder
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 cup minced basil leaves
- 1/2 cup minced cilantro leaves
- 1/2 cup brewed Hawaiian coffee
- Pickled Ginger Vinaigrette:
- 3/4 ounce bonito flavored soup base (dashi)
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 3 tablespoons fresh ginger
- 12 ounces pickled ginger
- Pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups salad oil
- Oil, for deep-frying
- 4 egg roll wrappers (sometimes called menlo)
- 6 cups spring mix greens
- 1/4 cup chopped macadamia nuts
Score the top of the duck breast before marinating.
Heat a large saute pan over high heat. Add the duck breasts and saute until golden brown on both sides and cooked to your desired temperature, about 3 minutes per side for medium rare.
In a mixing bowl, combine dashi with sugar and rice wine vinegar. Transfer mixture to a blender and add garlic, fresh ginger, pickled ginger and pinch of salt. Slowly add salad oil to the blender. Refrigerate until needed.
Have fryer heated to 360 degrees F.
Deep-fry the menlo until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Remove from the oil to a paper towel lined plate. On a platter, place deep-fried menlo topped with spring mix. Slice duck breast and place on top of greens. Serve with chilled pickled ginger vinaigrette. Sprinkle with macadamia nuts.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.