Osso Buco Gian Tony's
- 2 1/2 ounces olive oil
- Flour, for dredging
- Salt and pepper
- 4 veal shanks (preferably provini veal), cut to 5 inches
- 5 carrots, cut into 2 to 3-inch chunks
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 8 celery stalks, cut into 2 to 3-inch chinks
- 3 cups canned tomatoes, chopped
- 5 cups veal or beef stock
- 10 to 12 ounces white wine (Pinot Grigio)
- 3 tomatoes, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven. Season flour with salt and pepper. Dredge veal shanks in flour. When oil is smoking, add shanks to Dutch oven and brown, turning frequently, about 7 to 8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add carrots, onion, celery, canned tomatoes and 4 cups stock. Cover and let simmer about 45 minutes. Add the wine, the diced tomatoes and some of the remaining stock. Place in preheated 375 degree oven for about 45 more minutes, or until tender. Check for seasoning.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.