Otto's Beer Cheese Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 chopped medium sized yellow onion
- At least 1/2 cup chopped carrot
- At least 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 (12-ounce) beer of choice (recommended: Sierra Nevada Pale Ale or Blind Pig)
- 7 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 7 ounces processed Swiss cheese, shredded
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 pound smoked sausage (recommended: Otto's Smoked Polish Ring)
Melt butter in a stockpot over medium heat. Add chopped onion, carrot, and celery. Saute until softened. Add flour. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often. Add chicken broth and beer. Heat until it comes to a boil. Slowly add cheese while stirring until just boiling and smooth. Add half-and-half, salt, dry mustard, and Worcestershire sauce. Reduce heat to low and cook until soup has thickened. Cut smoked sausage into 1/2-inch pieces and place in a saucepan. Saute sausage over medium heat until heated through. It will probably take about 5 to 7 minutes. Add sausage to the soup, transfer to a large serving bowl and serve hot.
This recipe was provided by professional chefs and has been scaled down from a bulk recipe provided by a restaurant. The FN chefs have not tested this recipe, in the proportions indicated, and therefore, we cannot make any representation as to the results.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.