Oven-Roasted Wild Mushrooms with Goat Cheese and Chile Oil
- 8 cups mushrooms (combination of portobello or crimini, shiitake and oyster mushrooms), stems removed and sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
- 1/2 cup chile oil, recipe follows
- 8 ounces goat cheese, cut into 8 slices
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- Chile oil:
- 1 cup pure olive oil
- 2 ounces dried New Mexico peppers
- 1 ounce dried arbol chile powder
- 2 tablespoons ancho powder
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the mushrooms with the olive oil, and shallots, then season with salt and black pepper.
Arrange the mushrooms evenly in one layer in a heavy roasting pan and roast for 15 minutes or until tender. Remove the mushrooms from the roasting pan and place into a large cazuela or baking dish. Drizzle with 1/2 cup of chile oil and top with the slices of cheese. Bake until hot, 5 to 8 minutes. Remove from the oven, garnish with thyme, and drizzle with the remaining chile oil. Serve with lots of crusty French bread.Chile oil:
Place all ingredients in a blender and puree. Strain mixture through a fine strainer. Reserve. This may be done up to one day in advance.
1999 by Bobby Flay. All Rights Reserved.