Oxtail Stew: Rabo Encendido
- 5 pounds oxtails, cut into 2-inch thick rounds
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup Cajun seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup Port
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 1 large carrot
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 Italian frying peppers, cut into large pieces
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 (10-ounce) can whole tomatoes
- 1/2 can chipotle pepper adobo
- 1 cup dry Sherry
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 bunch thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- Salt and pepper
Coat oxtail pieces with the flour and Cajun seasoning, sear them in 3 tablespoons oil, and remove from the pan. Pour off the fat from the pan, deglaze with the Port, and pour off the Port, reserving it for later use.
In the same pot, caramelize the onions, carrot, celery, and peppers. Deglaze with the red wine. Add the oxtails to the vegetables. Adding in the tomatoes, chipotle, Sherry, bay leaves, thyme, and Port, and simmer for approximately 3 hours.
Season, to taste, with salt and pepper and serve.
Recipe courtesy Alex Garcia