I make rice a roni quite a bit and I kept adding to it and finally came up with this.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, trimmed of fat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 dozen (51 to 60 count) frozen shrimp, thawed, shelled and deveined
- 1 (6.8-ounce) box beef flavor rice preparation (recommended: Rice a Roni)
- 2 1/2 cups hot water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup peas, frozen
- 1/2 cup sliced baby carrots
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 (3.5-ounce) can mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup pitted, sliced black olives such as kalamata
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, tomato paste and beef. Brown the steak; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
Make the rice a roni in a large skillet, according to manufacturer's instructions. Just before you put on the lid, add all of the remaining ingredients, except the beef mixture. Simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Add the beef the last 10 minutes of cooking to warm through.
Nutritional analysis per serving:
Calories 600; Total Fat 26.5 g; (Sat Fat 9.5 g, Mono Fat 12 g, Poly Fat 2 g) ; Protein 47 g; Carb 44 g; Fiber 4 g; Cholesterol 146 mg; Sodium 1117 mg
A viewer, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe and therefore, we cannot make representation as to the results.
Click here to view Food Network Kitchen's healthier version of this recipe.