- 1 medium onion, cut into large pieces
- 1 chicken, cut into pieces, carcass reserved
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups rice
- 1/2 pound cod fish fillets
- 1/2 pound raw, peeled shrimp, shells reserved
- 1 pound clams
- 1 pound mussels
- 1 pound linguica, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper sliced
- 2 cups shrimp/chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron or substitute such as safflower, Sazon or Bijol
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Hot pepper sauce
In a large saucepan combine onion, chicken carcass, shrimp shells and enough water to cover all (at least 3 cups), and simmer for approximately 1 hour. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Reserve 2 cups for Paella.
Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry. Season with salt, pepper. Saute in 1/4 cup olive oil until golden. Remove chicken and saute garlic, onion and rice for a few minutes. Add chicken back to skillet on top of rice, tuck in seafood and sausage. Add shrimp/chicken stock, wine, saffron and bell peppers. Cover and simmer 20 minutes. Sprinkle peas on top, cover again and continue to cook 10 additional minutes. Serve with hot pepper sauce.
Home Cook Recipe: A viewer or guest of the show, who may not be a professional cook, provided this recipe. The Food Network Kitchen have not tested this recipe and therefore cannot make representation as to the results.
Recipe courtesy Mark Motta