- 1 pound. or 4 (6-inch) chorizo sausages
- 3 pounds skinned and boned chicken breasts
- 2 lobster tails
- 1 pound medium shrimp
- 1/2 pound small to medium scallops
- 12 Cherrystone clams, washed
- 12 mussels, washed and debearded
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large sweet yellow peppers, chopped
- 2 large Spanish or Vidalia onions, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, pressed or minced
- 2 cups uncooked short grain rice
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon saffron, ground into small pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 ounces frozen pea
Pregame prep: If you purchase your seafood more than 1 day prior to your tailgate, clean and freeze the fresh seafood items, with the exception of the scallops. Store the mussels and clams together, and the shrimp separately. The night before your tailgate, move frozen seafood to the refrigerator. Prepare and store in separate plastic bags the following ingredients: 1) chicken breasts, washed and patted dry, 2) onions and yellow pepper chopped, 3) tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and chopped, 4) measure out the rice. Game Day: Pack food on ice for transport. Once at the tailgate location, light the grill in the direct method. Brush the chorizo, chicken, and lobster tails with olive oil. When the grill is hot, cook in the following order turning occasionally: 1) chorizo sausages 15 to 20 minutes; 2) lobster tails 15 minutes; 3) chicken breast 10 minutes.
Place an extra large skillet or paella pan on a propane burner or the grill and heat 1/4 cup of olive oil. Saute the yellow peppers and onions. When the onions are translucent, stir in garlic, add rice, and saute for five minutes. Add 6 cups of chicken stock, tomatoes, saffron, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in chicken, lobster, and sausage. Reduce paella to a simmer as the fire subsides or turn the propane burner down to medium low. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes stirring occasionally to keep from burning.
Test the rice. If needed, add an additional 1 to 2 cups of chicken broth stir and simmer another 10 minutes. When rice is cooked, stir the frozen peas, shrimp, and scallops into the skillet. Layer the mussels and clams on top, and cook until the mussels and clams open approximately 5 to 10 minutes. Stir before serving.
Recipe courtesy of Kathy Clyne Merrill, Author of ?Tailgating without a Hitch