Paella Rice Salad
Copyright 2000, Tori Ritchie. All Rights Reserved.
The same elements found in paella — rice, saffron, peas and herbs — give this vivid rice salad its flavor and color. Serve with Grilled[ Chicken and Chorizo with Spanish-style Marinade to complete the paella theme.]
- Total Time:
- 2 hr 55 min
- 2 hr 10 min
- 45 min
- 4 to 6 servings
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Large pinch saffron threads
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice or short-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup sherry wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas, cooked and cooled
- 2 red bell peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup packed fresh Italian parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
Bring the water and salt to boil in a medium saucepan. When water is boiling, stir in pinch saffron. Add the rice, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until rice is just tender (about 20 minutes).
Meanwhile, in a large bowl, blend vinegar and mustard with a fork. Pour in olive oil in a thin stream, whisking with fork to emulsify. Stir in the peas, bell peppers, parsley, and oregano. When rice is cooked, add it to the bowl and stir well to distribute dressing and ingredients. Let rice cool to room temperature and serve. Or refrigerate up to 1 day, then serve.