Pan Seared Ali'I Moi, Braised arugula, Warm Lomilomi Sauce with Fiddlehead Fern and Freshwater Shrimp
- 2 tablespoons sliced green onions
- 2 pounds whole Moi (threadfin), cleaned and scored (can substitute snapper or seabass)
- 2 tablespoons Hawaiian red salt (can substitute kosher salt)
- 1 tablespoon freshly ground white pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Warm Lomilomi Sauce with Fiddlehead Fern and Freshwater Shrimp:
- 2 ounces olive oil
- 1 medium Maui onion, small diced
- 2 ripe tomatoes, small diced
- 1 cup whole freshwater shrimp (can substitute any type of shrimp or squids)
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 cup sliced fiddlehead ferns
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 1/2 cup fish stock, vegetable stock, or clam juice
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 lemons, juiced
- 3 green onions, sliced fine
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Braised Arugula, recipe follows
- Braised Arugula:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound baby arugula, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Freshly ground pepper
DirectionsWarm Lomilomi Sauce with Fiddlehead Fern and Freshwater Shrimp:
For the fish: Gently rub the green onions over the Moi, then season with salt and pepper. In a large, hot saute pan, add the olive oil and gently place the fish in the pan. Sear over medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, turning over 2 to 3 times, until crisp and golden brown.
For the Lomilomi: In a hot saucepan, add the olive oil and heat. When the olive oil is hot, add the onions and tomatoes and lightly sweat until the onions are soft and translucent. Next, add in shrimp, garlic, ferns, and ginger and continue to saute. Deglaze with the stock and reduce by half. Reduce the heat and whisk in the butter until melted. Finish with the lemon juice and green onions. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Place the arugula in the center of a plate. Place the fish on top of the arugula and top off with the sauce.Braised Arugula:
In a large, hot saute pan, add the olive oil and arugula. Toss lightly and add in the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.