Pan Seared Lobster with Lemongrass Broth Shiitake Truffle Flan
- 4 each 1 1/2 pound whole lobsters
- 3 cups lemongrass-lobster stock
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Salt and white pepper to taste
- Canola oil to cook
- LEMONGRASS LOBSTER BROTH:
- 4 each uncooked lobster heads*
- 1 sliced fennel
- 1 sliced red onion
- 1 sliced carrot
- 1 stalk celery
- 6 stalks lemongrass, white part only, pounded
- 2 slices ginger
- 1 cup chardonnay
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon whole green peppercorn
- 6 cups water
- Canola oil to cook
- BOK CHOY FONDUE:
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chopped bok choy
- 1/2 cup lobster stock
- Lobster knuckle meat from 4 lobsters
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a hot saute pan, saute garlic and ginger in butter. Add bok choy, stock and lobster meat.
- Season and cook until soft. Check for seasoning.
Place live lobsters in the freezer to >numb=, then quickly slice head in half. Separate claws, tail and knuckles. Save heads for stock. Cut tail in half, leaving the end attached. Place claws in a bowl and pour boiling salted water over them and let stand for five minutes. Place knuckles in for the last 3 minutes. Strain lobster and immediately plunge into an ice bath. Deshell lobster which is not fully cooked. In a hot saute pan, coat with oil and saute seasoned tail, feeler side down. Cook both sides, about 5 minutes, then add claws. Deglaze with stock, add lemon juice and check for seasoning. In a large pasta bowl, place small mound of bok choy. Top with flan and top that with lobster. Ladle in broth and garnish with sliced scallions and coral.LEMONGRASS LOBSTER BROTH:
In a hot stock pot, coat with a little canola oil and color the lobster heads. Add fennel, onions, carrots, celery, lemongrass and ginger. Saute until soft. Deglaze with wine and reduce. Add tomato paste, bay leaf, peppercorn and water to cover the heads. Simmer slowly for 2 to 3 hours then strain.
* If there is any green coral, pull out and dry in 200 degree oven for 4 hours then grind to a red powder for garnishing.BOK CHOY FONDUE:
SHIITAKE TRUFFLE FLAN 4 eggs 1 cup heavy cream 1 1/2 cups sauteed shiitake mushrooms (sauteed with 1 teaspoon minced shallots) 2 tablespoons sliced green scallions 1 tablespoon white truffle oil Salt and white pepper to taste
Mix everything in large bowl. Spray 4 ramekins with pan release and fill 4/5 full. Place in hot bain marie (water up half way) and bake in oven at 300 degrees for 25 minutes or until flans are set.
Yield 4 servings
Suggested Wine: Chandon, Reserve Cuvee, Napa County Sparkling Wine (25th Anniversary)
Copyright, 1998, Ming Tsai, All Rights Reserved
Thank you! your flag was submitted.