Panela-coated Scallops with Jicama, Grapefruit, and Roasted Garlic Mojo
- 1 cup Ruby Red grapefruit juice
- 4 garlic cloves, roasted
- 1 cup olive oil, plus extra, for searing
- 1 teaspoon grapefruit zest
- 1 small red onion, cut into small dice
- 1 medium jicama, cut into small dice
- 2 grapefruits, segmented and cut into small dice
- 1 pound scallops, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 tablespoons grated panela
- Salt and pepper
Combine red onions, jicama, and grapefruit segments and dress with the mojo. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Set aside.
In a saute pan, heat a little oil over high heat. Season scallops with salt and pepper. When the oil is smoking, sear the scallops on both sides, remove from the pan, and set aside.
Deglaze the saute pan with balsamic vinegar, then add Worcestershire and panela. Cook until thick and syrupy. Add scallops back to the pan and pour over jicama and grapefruit salsa.
Divide the scallops and salsa onto 4 plates.
Recipe courtesy of Alex Garcia