Panko Fried Calamari
These are not the recipes made on the show, but recipes that the instructor came up with using the mystery ingredients.
- 2 pounds cleaned squid, cut into rings, see Cook's Note*
- 6 egg whites
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 21/2 cups panko, see Cook's Note**
- Kosher salt
- Serving suggestion: Green Papaya and Lotus Root Salad, recipe follows
- Special equipment: deep fryer
- Green Papaya and Lotus Root Salad with Orange:
- 1 small fresh lotus root, peeled and thinly sliced, see Cook's Note*
- 1 green papaya, peeled and julienned
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 Thai chile, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
Preheat the deep fryer to 375 degrees F.
Whisk the egg whites and flour together until smooth. Dip the calamari rings into the egg white batter. Toss calamari rings in the panko, 1 piece at a time.
In a deep fryer set at high temperature, fry the panko-coated calamari until golden, about 2 minutes. Season with kosher salt and serve immediately.
*Cook's Note: Also known as Calamari.
**Cook's Note: Coarse bread crumbs often used in Japanese cooking. Panko is available in Asian food shops.Green Papaya and Lotus Root Salad with Orange:
Bring a pot of water to a boil and blanch the lotus root for 20 seconds. Refresh in cold water.
Add lotus root, julienned papaya, orange juice, Thai chile and kosher salt. Mix well.
Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
*Cook's Note: The root of the water lily, it has a taste and texture similar to potato. It's available canned and frozen and found in specialty Asian markets.
Yield: 2 cups
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Thank you! your flag was submitted.