- 1 1/2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 3 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup sugar, or more to taste
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup (8-ounce container) sour cream
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- 2 cups pitted fresh cherries, strawberries, or sliced peaches or pears
- Or, 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons artisan-made balsamic vinegar
- Or, 2 to 3 tablespoons saba syrup or Vin Cotto
Sprinkle the gelatin over cold water and let stand for 5 minutes. In a 3-quart saucepan, warm the cream with the sugar, salt, and vanilla over medium-high heat.
Do not let it boil. Stir in the gelatin until thoroughly dissolved. Take the cream off the heat and cool about 5 minutes.
Put the sour cream in a medium bowl. Gently whisk in the warm cream a little at a time until smooth. Taste for sweetness. It may need another teaspoon of sugar. Rinse 8 (2/3-cup) ramekins, custard cups, or coffee cups with cold water. Fill each one 3/4 full with the cream. Chill 24 hours.
To serve, either unmold by packing the molds in hot towels and then turning each out onto a dessert plate, or serve in their containers. Serve alone or with the fruit, or drizzle each portion with about 1/2 teaspoon artisan balsamic vinegar or saba.