Pappa al Pomodoro (Tomato Bread Soup)
- 9 ounces Tuscan bread (preferably a day or two old)
- 1 quart water (to soak bread)
- 3 1/2 ounces olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 17 1/2 ounces very ripe large tomatoes, cubed
- 1 carrot, finely minced
- 1 large white onion, finely minced
- 1 celery stalk, minced finely
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 20 fresh basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1 cup warm water (for cooking)
Place the bread in 1 quart of water until thoroughly soaked. Drain and squeeze out as much water as possible. Set aside.
Heat the olive oil in a skillet and add tomatoes, carrot, onion, celery, parsley, and basil. Let simmer for a few minutes. Crumble the bread into the skillet, stirring frequently. Add 1 cup of water and let simmer about 25 minutes. Drizzle with olive oil before serving.