- 1/2 pound slab bacon, cut into 1/4inch cubes
- 1 pound parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 to 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Flour, for coating
- 1 egg, beaten
- Fresh bread crumbs, for coating
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
Fry bacon until crisp, drain on paper towels, and reserve.
Place the parsnips in a saucepan of salted boiling water, and cook until soft. Drain parsnips, mash with 2 tablespoons of butter and season with salt and pepper. Add diced bacon. Wet your hands and shape the mixture into 6 cakes. Dip each cake into the flour, then the egg, then the bread crumbs to coat.
Heat the oil and remaining 2 tablespoons butter (or reserved bacon fat) in a large skillet. Fry the cakes until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Serve cakes immediately, sprinkled with crispy bacon.