- 3 pounds small clams, littlenecks or cockles
- 3 pounds mussels, cleaned and beards removed
- 2 white onions, finely diced
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 pounds chorizo, cooked halfway and medium sliced
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped garlic
- 14 cups tomato broth, whole peeled can tomatoes pureed in blender
- 1 ounce saffron
- 1 cup chopped basil leaves
- 1 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 8 cups short grain rice, or Spanish rice
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Wash and inspect all of the shellfish, reserve in the refrigerator. In a large, thick, bottom pot with shallow sides, saute the onion with 1/2 of the olive oil until tender. Add chorizo and garlic, and saute for 5 minutes. Add tomato broth, saffron, 1/2 of the basil, and 1/2 of the parsley.
Bring to a boil. Add all the shellfish, rice and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer, cover and finish in the oven. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes, or until rice is tender and the clams have opened. Remove from the oven and season the top with salt, pepper, the remaining parsley, basil, and the olive oil.
* Professional Recipe
This recipe was provided by a chef, restaurant or culinary professional and makes a large quantity. The Food Network Kitchens chefs have not tested this recipe in the proportions indicated and therefore cannot make any representation as to the results.