Pasta Raisins Pudding with Caramelized Apple Topping
- 1 cup tiny shaped pasta of choice or orzo, boiled and drained
- 1/2 cup plumped up raisins
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups scalded milk
- 1 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups peeled and cored apples, cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Powdered sugar for garnish
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine cooked pasta with raisins, zest and melted butter and spread into a shallow buttered 2 quart baking dish.
Beat sugar into eggs and whisk in milk and orange juice and pour over pasta. Set baking pan in a bain marie and bake for about an hour or until set.
While this is baking saute the apples in 2 tablespoons butter. Add sugar and cinnamon and saute over low heat until apples are tender and caramelized.
Remove pasta pudding from oven and let set 10 minutes before serving; serve topped with apples and a dusting of powdered sugar.
Recipe courtesy of Michele Urvater