Pastilla with Bananas and Apples
- 1 pound butter, for pastry, plus 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh lavender
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons runny honey
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon rosewater
- 10 bananas, peeled
- 8 apples, chopped
- 1 cup blanched, peeled, and crushed almonds
- Pastilla pastry or phyllo
Melt the butter for the pastry.
Brush pastry with melted butter. Make a secure base (2 layers of pastry). Fill the pastry case with 1/4 cup almonds first (so they soak up the excess juices from the fruit), then the bananas and apples and finally the remaining almonds. Close the pastry case with more phyllo, press down, butter the edges to make it stick.
Place in a hot oven (400 degrees F) for 10 minutes. Then turn the oven down to 225 degrees F for the final 5 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of Moha Orchid from Cookies and Couscous, New York