- 1/4 pound butter, plus 1/4 pound butter, melted and cooled
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- Salt and pepper
- 1 (12-ounces) can tomatoes
- 1 (12-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pound ziti rigate or penne
- 3 cups grated pecorino Romano
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 1/2 cups whole milk
- 5 eggs
Mix the final layer, the Pastitsio Crema by mixing 4 ounces of melted, cooled butter and 3/4 cup of flour. Heat 3 1/2 cups of milk and pour a little over flour and butter mixture then pour the rest of the mixture into the milk. Add 5 beaten eggs and stir thoroughly over medium flame until mixture thickens. Pour the crema on top of the meat sauce and bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until brown. Cool for 1 hour before cutting.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.