Buttermilk Waffles with Homemade Strawberry Sauce
- 3 large eggs, separated
- Pinch cream of tartar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons butter plus 1 tablespoon, melted
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Strawberry Sauce:
- 1 quart strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Powdered sugar, for topping
Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar with a hand mixer until stiff peaks appear.
In a bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk, vanilla and 2 tablespoons melted butter.
Into a large bowl stir together the flour, brown sugar, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon.
Combine with the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. Fold the whites into the batter, gently.
Grease the waffle iron with a small amount of melted butter and heat the waffle iron according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Ladle batter onto the waffle iron and cook until golden brown, about 3 1/2 to 5 minutes. Repeat with the remaining batter.For the strawberry sauce:
Serve waffles with powdered sugar and strawberry sauce.