- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 large onion, diced 1 tablespoon ancho chile powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken stock
- One 7-ounce can fire-roasted green chiles, drained and rinsed
- 1 large russet potato, peeled and cubed small
- Chopped cilantro, for serving, optional
- Grated pepper jack cheese, for serving, optional
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy-bottomed pot. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Brown the chicken on both sides, for a total of 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Saute the garlic, poblano peppers and onions. Add the ancho chile powder, cumin and some salt and pepper to the pot, and saute until tender, about 4 minutes. Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the chicken stock, green chiles and potatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 25 minutes.
Serve in bowls topped with cilantro and cheese if using.