- 1/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup well-shaken buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (if using frozen, thaw)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, for frying
Add the butter to a medium nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Once foamy, add the shallots and green onions and saute until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the corn and cook for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Fold the cooked vegetables into the batter mixture.
Wipe out the skillet and add 2 tablespoons canola oil. Once the skillet is hot, spoon out the batter in 1/4-cup scoops. Cook on each side until golden and crisp, about 1 1/2 minutes. Drain on a paper towel-lined platter and sprinkle with salt.
Recipe courtesy of The Neelys