Cornbread Stuffing with Apples and Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Italian sausage, casing removed
- 1 medium onions, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon freshly chopped sage leaves
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1 1/4 pounds cubed and dried cornbread stuffing, store-bought
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 2 cups turkey or low-sodium chicken stock
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in 12-inch skillet.
Cook sausage for 5 to 7 minutes until browned. Add onions and celery and saute until softened. Add salt and pepper, to taste. Mix in apples, thyme and sage and saute for another 2 minutes. Add bourbon. *Cook's Note: When adding alcohol take pan off flame. Allow to simmer until bourbon is almost evaporated; 1 to 2 minutes.
In a large bowl, add cornbread stuffing, parsley, chicken stock, eggs and pecans. Mix well. Mix in vegetable mixture to bowl. Combine and stir well together. Add to a large casserole dish and bake for 30 minutes.
Recipe courtesy of The Neelys