Dirty Rice with Smoked Sausage
- 2 cups long grain white rice
- 5 cups chicken stock, divided
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound smoked pork sausage, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
Make the rice, in a medium saucepan combine the rice and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until all the stock is absorbed into the rice, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile heat oil in a heavy-bottomed saute pan over medium-high heat. Brown the sausage. Once browned, add the garlic, onion, celery, and green bell pepper. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add 1 cup chicken stock and cayenne. Cook until the stock has reduced a little. Add the cooked rice and parsley and stir thoroughly. Taste and season with salt and pepper, if necessary.