- Peanut oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup sugar, for dusting
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon, for dusting
- 2 (8-ounce) cans crescent rolls (recommended: Pillsbury)
- Chocolate Sauce, for serving, recipe follows
In a deep-fryer or heavy-bottomed pot, heat enough peanut oil to come halfway up the sides of the pot, to 375 degrees F.
Mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl and set aside.
Slice the seamless dough sheets into 1-inch strips from the shorter length of the dough. Make sure that the strips are not longer than your deep-fryer is wide. Twist each dough strip, and then drop, 3 at a time, into the fryer. Fry the donut sticks until golden brown and crisp, about 1 1/2 to 2 minutes, flipping with tongs about half way through. Remove the donuts from the fryer and dust with the cinnamon-sugar mixture. Serve with the chocolate sauce.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 6 ounces semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
In a heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine the first 6 ingredients and bring to a simmer. Whisk in the chocolate, vanilla, and butter and stir until the sauce is smooth.