- 3 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small head red cabbage, cored and shredded (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Neely's BBQ sauce
- 1 tablespoons butter
Cook the bacon in a large saucepan over medium-low heat until the fat has started to render but the bacon is not yet crisp. Add the red onions, apples, salt and pepper, to taste. Saute until the mixture softens, about 5 minutes. Add the cabbage and stir until it begins to soften and wilt down; season again with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the chicken broth and the apple cider vinegar and reduce over medium-low heat. Cover and stir occasionally until the cabbage is tender.
Once cabbage is cooked, remove the lid and add the Neely's BBQ sauce. Turn heat to medium and let the liquid reduce until it's nice and syrupy. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with pat of butter. Serve hot.