Gina's Spicy Corn Chowder
- 4 pieces thick-sliced bacon, chopped
- 1 medium Vidalia onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small jalapeno, chopped seeds and ribs removed
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 large red potatoes, well scrubbed and small diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 16 ounces frozen corn
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 bay leaf
In a small saucepan over medium heat, saute the bacon until crisp and browned and the fat is rendered. With a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel and reserve. There should be about 4 tablespoons of bacon grease in pan.
Add the onions and red pepper to pan. Saute until tender and translucent, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add the jalapeno and garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in the flour until thoroughly combined. Cook the flour until it reaches a slight blonde color, about 1 minute. Stir in the chicken stock and the potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes; potatoes will become soft. Add the cream, corn, cayenne and bay leaf. Simmer for 15 more minutes. Pour into a serving bowl and garnish with the reserved bacon.
Thank you! your flag was submitted.