- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch sugar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (5-ounce) package prewashed baby spinach
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch pieces, fried crisp
- 4 ounces crumbled blue cheese
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
Pecans: Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Stir in all the spices and the pecans. Stir and toast the pecans for about 5 minutes. Transfer them to a plate to cool.
Salad: Whisk together the Dijon mustard, shallots, and balsamic vinegar in a small bowl. Drizzle in the olive oil in a continuous stream, whisking to emulsify. Season with a pinch of sugar, and salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the spinach to a large serving bowl. Toss the greens with the prepared dressing, the bacon, blue cheese, cherry tomatoes and spiced pecans.